I need to keep a small (few thousand) record database of sorts. Each record
has some pre-detertermined fields, but the user can add there own fields to
to a limited extent. It is a pretty light use so CoreData isn't what I
really want, plus migrating to future structures is an issue with CoreData.

This will be simple objects in an NSMutableArray.

I can use an array of NSMutableDictionaries or perhaps an array of
class-based custom cocoa objects.

One nice thing about the object route is that I can have some fields
(properties) be based on a calculation rather than real storage like they'd
be in an NSMutableDictionary.

E.g.

NSNumber length
NSNumber width
NSNumber area

In an object area could be a method returning length*width instead of an
instance var for area.

The trouble comes in the fact that I need to be able to add properties at
runtime. For the dictionary option, it is easy - just make sure the key
names don't collide and I can add more keys to each dictionary.

But for the objects I don't see a nice way to do this

There is setValue:forUndefinedKey: and then each object could keep a local
dictionary of these "defined at runtime" keys.

Thoughts on this?