This is what I use when using a UISearchBar in iOS.

-(void)searchBarSearchButtonClicked:(UISearchBar *)aSearchBar {
    [aSearchBar resignFirstResponder];
}

By using the _ char in front of your var, it looks like you're talking directly
to the private instance.  If you have a textfield called txt1, does it work if
you try this:

[self.txt1 resignFirstResponder];

??

Did you forget to synthesize your property?  I actually ran into that today in
Xcode 4.6.1 but only because I had started to @synthesize some vars and I think
Xcode was trying to predict how I wanted the class vars to be scoped.