On Jun 1, 2013, at 14:04 , Kyle Sluder <k...@ksluder.com> wrote:

> Spotlight importers run within a worker process; thus, they inherit the
> sandbox of the worker process, not the sandbox of your app (which might
> not even be running).

The part of this line of thinking that I don't understand is why the worker
process, whatever it is, shouldn't have access to a temporary directory of its
own.

The sample code tries to create a subdirectory inside the directory pointed to
by NSTemporaryDirectory(). If this code is running in the context of an app
sandbox, then there should be no problem creating a subdirectory in its temp
dir. If the code is running in (say) a background worker process, then it
should have its own temp dir, and there should still be no problem.

All of which makes me wonder if NSTemporaryDirectory() just isn't available in
the worker process, for some non-apparent reason. In that case, isn't there a
Unix-ey temp dir to use instead (/var/something or /usr/something)?

Or have I missed an essential step in your reasoning?