On Jun 12, 2013, at 3:01 AM, Oleg Krupnov <oleg.krup...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You misunderstood, I wasn't talking about RAM. It was merely an
> illustration of how an assumption that seemed justified basing on some
> then current technical limits, in hindsight turned out ridiculous and
> crippling after the technical limits were pushed further.

It’s not a technical limit, it’s a mathematical limit. An n-bit address space
simply cannot hold 2^n pointers. (I think the limit is 2^(n - n/8) … but of
course even at that limit you wouldn’t have room for any objects for the
pointers to point to!)

If you want to implement a sparse array that can support 2^64 items, go for it,
but you’ll need some mechanism other than NSNotFound to indicate when a value
isn’t found.

—Jens