Well, let¹s just call it unexpected behavior then.  Now that I understand
what is going on, I see your point and will be forewarned in future
implementations.  You are technically correct.  However, it was a subtle
issue which could easily trip up someone encountering it for the first time.
I don¹t know if this mini-nib thing is a new issue with view-based tables,
or if it has been there in the past with other classes which use prototype
views.  I still think the compiler should be smart enough to block this
without having to put a on-shot blocking flag in awakeFromNib, which I have
now done.