> To me, it's not that you'd have to write all the code from scratch that makes
> Core Data concerning, it's the fact that the format is undocumented.

> If Apple published a complete specification for the format, I'd be willing to
> use Core Data, but as it is, the prospect of having
> one's own file format as a black box is a huge turn-off to me.

Thanks for tip, I was unaware of that.

Sure I can see how it's nice to use the Core Data API, but one would
have to be completely out of one's tree to save end-user documents in
a completely undocumented format, even if it were cross-platform.

I lost what would have otherwise been a really lucrative, really fun
consulting gig in which I would have been able to use my Physics
degree.  I'm afraid that I made it clear to the hiring manager that I
considered him an idiot for even asking me whether I knew Core Data.
I didn't come right out and say so, but I sure did make it clear that
I considered him ill-advised.

Just now I'm about to register a KickStarter project that would
compensate me for completely reverse-engineering the Core Data
formats.

However I need to set a fixed price goal, as well as a finite delivery
schedule.  One only gets money at all from kickstarter if both goals
are met.  That kind of project estimation, in my own experience, is an
as-yet unsolved problem, not just for me but for every software
engineer.  If you claim you know how to estimate software development
time and cost, I don't believe you.

Don't even _think_ about suggesting that such reverse-engineering is
illegal.  Reverse-engineer is specifically protected under the law.

If you have some proprietary method you want legal protection for,
that's what patents are for.

Trade secrets are used either when the invention is either not
"novel", or not "unobvious" and so not legally patentable, or when one
hopes to maintain the secret for longer than the patent's twenty-year
term, such as the secret recipe for Coca-Cola.  There are only a very
few, very trusted people who know what all the ingredients are.  Had
they patented it, the recipe would have been placed into the public
domain a hundred years ago.

I know this very well.  I've reverse-engineed a whole bunch of
different kinds of things.

That resulted in a Senior Engineer position at Apple itself in the
mid-90s, where in my role as a Debug Meister for the Traditional OS
Integration team, I reverse-engineered a great many third-party
applications that were found by QA to stimulate crashes in new builds
of the Mac OS System.  I worked on 7.5.2 and 7.5.3.

For example, I once supplied Microsoft with the exact byte offset in
the Word 6 binary, at which they started a one-shot timer, then after
it fired, reset it, so it would tick continuously.  Unfortunately, the
Classic Mac OS didn't have any really clear concept of a process -
some other Apple engineer once described the System as just "a bunch
of subroutines", so under a very heavy paging load, that timer would
fire well after Word's executable code had been overwritten with some
other data.

My very first consulting gig when I hung out my shingle in April 1998,
was to reverse engineer the Movie Magic Scheduling database format, so
that Graphical Planet's handheld devices could interoperate with Movie
Magic.  Graphical Planet did ask the Movie Magic people to
interoperate with them, but they refused, so they hired me.  In just
three weeks I fully documented the format, just by making lots of
databases with small variations between them, then comparing hex dumps
of pairs of them - the single letter "A" in just one field, compared
to "AB" in that same field, as well as "A" in one field, then just "B'
In some other field.  I also wrote a C program that dumped a human
readable text file of the whole database.

Graphical Planet's acceptance test was for my C program to dump the
project management plan for a full-length motion picture.  Movie Magic
even had a form that enabled one to schedule the appearance of potted
plants on the set.

If I can do that, surely I can reverse engineer Core Data.

And yes, many of my best friends still work for Apple.  I don't mean
anyone at Apple any ill-will, other than the miscreants who make such
decisions as to convince all the developers to depend on undocumented
formats for their livelihood.  The people I actually met when I was at
Apple, the ones that I know that work there today, are not that way.

Mike Crawford
mdcrawf...@gmail.com
http://www.goingware.com/    <-- Down, but back up Real Soon Now.
Portland, Oregon