On 2013 Jun 10, at 09:59, Kyle Sluder <k...@ksluder.com> wrote:

> The same way they do the Spotlight “menu”: a borderless window that looks
> like a menu.

Thank you, Kyle.  That seems to be the only sensible explanation.

> Sadly, I don't know if there's a way to hook into the menu manager to get the
> same results in your app.\

Oh, I should have said: This is a "free-standing" menu that I pop open by using
-[NSMenu popUpMenuPositioningItem:atLocation:inView:].  Not in the main menu.

* * *

I played with attaching my existing menu to the bottom of a borderless window,
thinking I could put a search field at the top.  I still want to use a *real*
NSMenu, because I need other menu behavior, submenus in particular which would
be a major project to re-implement.

But after using it for a few minutes, I realized that, because a *real* menu is
modal until dismissed, the search field would not be able to get keystrokes.

What I decided to do instead is to simply add a "Search" item to the menu.  I
think this will be a better user experience copying Apple's current fake "Help"
menu anyhow.  It took me a while to figure that thing out when it was first
introduced, and I think that most casual users probably still find it to be a
bit of a head-scratcher when they learn (or re-remember) that it searches menu
item titles.

Jerry