I wouldn't do the didBeginEditing approach; in case the user for whatever
reason is using a Bluetooth keyboard, this will launch the scroll up method
when there's not visible keyboard and will make the app look weird.

Although I know its a farfetched scenario its still possible.
What I usually do is subscribe to  "UIKeyboardWillShowNotification"

This notification will let you know when a keyboard will be shown onscreen;
subsequently you should subscribe to its counter part and also add a tap
gesture recogniser to the view so that you can also dismiss the keyboard by
resigning the first responder of the UITextfield when the user taps anywhere
else on the screen.
I add this tap gesture because I believe its a common "preconception" for the
user that if they tap anywhere where there's not textfield the keyboard should
dismiss.

Hope this helps; let me know if you need more details, I have a UIView category
that handles this behaviour and I could share it with you if you want.

Regards,
--
Esteban Torres
(+506)8813-0934