Rick,

I haven't tried this, so I don't know whether it will work, but…

have you tried leaving the buttons enabled but disabling user interaction for
them? Of course, if that works then it leaves open the larger question of
whether your UI goals are best served by displaying buttons that can't be
pushed...

> I have some UIBarButtonItems in a toolbar showing some app status. They're
> disabled, because there's no action if you tap, but I want them to appear
> white, so I set the disabled color to white.
>
> One of these, and some other image items (that are also disabled) are hidden
> and shown depending on the app state. I use -setItems:animated: to do this.
> When I do, I see them flash white, then dim to the disabled color.
>
> Is this a bug? Is there a workaround?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Rick