Am 25.07.2013 um 19:36 schrieb Uli Kusterer <witness.of.teacht...@gmx.net>:

> Have you considered using a display link callback instead of a timer?

Yes. Moving to the display link callback was when I noticed the issue in the
first place.

Calling -setNeedsDisplay: in the display link callback is too fast. It gives
smooth animation but leads to timers piling up in the system.

Since I can use Core Animation, that is obviously the better solution. It also
makes my application look less power hungry - because now it is the
WindowServer doing the drawing and eating cpu. ;)

Andreas