1) A splash screen is a *much faster* alternative than drawing an incomplete
main window.
   My splash screen draws in ~30ms.
   My full screen document window draw takes ~200ms, even when empty.
    Why?
       - NSAttributedString takes 2000 CPU instructions per *pixel*.
       - It takes longer to _recursiveTickleNeedsDisplay a view hierarchy than
it does to draw a splash screen NSImage.
   For this reason I suppress any document window drawing or other unnecessary
NSTimers while loading.
   If you want to talk about optimizing, why don't you analyze how much
_recursiveTickleNeedsDisplay you're doing before your app is ready to draw
anything.
2) Talk to the marketing director.  Splash screen is company branding.  The
splash screen is really the only place where my app does any branding.
Apple has become more focused on its $.99 Mac App Store apps.
I notice there are very few products in the Mac App store that cost > $99

On Jul 29, 2013, at 4:08 PM, Keith Knauber