On Aug 6, 2013, at 8:39 AM, Nick Rogers <roger...@mac.com> wrote:

> 1. Created a mutable array in main thread, can I read its values in a
> secondary thread safely, while no other thread is modifying this mutable
> array?
>
> 2. I need to add objects to this mutable array from a secondary thread, and
> no other thread is modifying it. Can I simply add an object like, [array
> addObject:obj]; or if this is wrong how to achieve the same? The object to
> add is mostly NSString or NSNumber or a mutable dictionary of NSString and
> NSNumber.

Honestly I would recommend a thread-confinement strategy. If you have some
other thread that wants to add an object to the array, it should message the
thread that owns that array (I'm guessing the main thread here) and tell it to
add the object.

TN2109 discusses this strategy along with sample code:
<http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#technotes/tn2109/_index.html>
--
David Duncan