On 14/08/2013, at 1:38 AM, Steve Mills <smi...@makemusic.com> wrote:

>> unning an open panel modally is a user-hostile experience that prevents
>> the user from interacting with other documents. OS X applications should
>> not behave this way.
>
> Apple didn't feel that way in the past, so I don't believe it's user-hostile.

They did, which is why first modeless dialogs (from System 1? 2?) and then
sheets (OSX 1.0) were developed. Even as far back as the original Inside
Macintosh the use of modal dialogs was strongly discouraged when it was
possible to use something else. The original system design used a modal Open
dialog but this became a modeless dialog in System 7 (1991), if I recall
correctly.

Anyway, history aside, the fact that orderOut: doesn't do anything suggests a
problem somewhere - I've seen this happen before when an unhandled exception
during the modal loop puts it into a state where the modal session can't be
closed and the dialog won't go away.

--Graham