On Aug 14, 2013, at 6:28 PM, Rick Mann wrote:

> I have a boolean property on an Entity for which only one should ever be
> true. Is it really bad to implement a custom setter that loads every other
> instance in the MOC that's true and sets them all to false? My code is
> actually good about always clearing the current one before setting the new
> one, but when I'm debugging, I will copy data over from another device, and
> it can't clear the old one in this case.

I am not sure if it bad, but it sure smells funny ;-) Anyway, the issue may be
more of the data approach. It is likely that the boolean attribute shouldn't
belong to the entity at all--i.e. that the attribute is really for needed by
some other object or process and is not a function of the entity. A cleaner
approach, IMHO, is to have a holder entity whose sole attribute is a to-one
relationship to your other entity. Think of it as a singleton that always exist
and maintains the particular managed object. It also requires no code at all to
maintain uniqueness--simply assign the relationship.

HTH,

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.