Turns out, this is a bug in UICollectionView or even ARC. And it is easily
reproducible. You can download Apple's sample code:

http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/samplecode/CollectionView-Simple/Introduction/Intro.html

and modify it to return 0 items to the collection view. Then try to perform the
following code:

dispatch_block_t block = ^{
    printf("finished");
};

UICollectionViewFlowLayout *layout = (UICollectionViewFlowLayout
*)self.collectionView.collectionViewLayout;
[self.collectionView performBatchUpdates:^{
    layout.minimumInteritemSpacing = 20;
} completion:^(BOOL finished) {
    block();
}];

It will crash since `finish` will be `nil`. But if you make data source to
return non-zero item count to the collection view then everything will work
good.

Created a bug report with ID 14744561. Affects iOS 6.0 and above.

You may refer to the Apple Dev Forums discussion thread:
https://devforums.apple.com/thread/198531?tstart=0

Thanks!

Vlad.