Sounds like a bug that you should report via Bug Reporter.

But as a workaround, you should be able to call -[NSTextView
setIncrementalSearchingEnabled:NO] when the subview gets collapsed (then
obviously set it back to YES when the text view is uncollapsed, though you will
lose search results in doing so).

-KP