On Aug 16, 2013, at 19:04 , Kyle Sluder <k...@ksluder.com> wrote:

> On Aug 16, 2013, at 12:41 PM, "Gerriet M. Denkmann" <gerr...@mdenkmann.de>
> wrote:
>> On 16 Aug 2013, at 22:59, Kyle Sluder <k...@ksluder.com> wrote:
>>> Xcode does know this. But if you're building for 32-bit OS X, it will
>>> correctly complain.
>>
>> When I build for Mac OS X CGRect is accepted.
>> But when I build for iOS then NSRect creates "Use of undeclared identifier
>> "NSRect" did you mean "NSSet""
>
> Stop using NSRect in your method prototypes and just use CGRect.

This is certainly pragmatic, effective advice.

<PetPeeve>

However…if you care as much about dependency management as I do (and chances
are you don’t), and don’t have a direct dependency on CoreGraphics in that code
(and chances are you do), then this is slightly stomach-churning, in addition
to pragmatic and effective.

Pulling in a dependency on CoreGraphics just to get those types is awful, in
addition it makes it harder to make code that works on both Mac OS X and iOS.
After going back and forth on this for quite some time, I decided to
standardize on the Foundation types and have a tiny compatibility layer, which
you can find on github:
https://github.com/mpw/MPWFoundation/blob/master/Classes/PhoneGeometry.h

</PetPeeve>