On Aug 20, 2013, at 4:32 PM, Diederik Meijer | Ten Horses wrote:

> An itemStore object creates a worker object (property of itemStore object)
> that hold a weak reference back to the itemStore object;
> When the worker classes is done, it sets the itemStore object (of which the
> worker class itself is a property) to nil.

It doesn't set the object to nil.  It sets its reference to the itemStore
object to nil.

> This project uses ARC.
>
> So within itemStore I do:
> self.worker = [[Worker alloc] init];
> [self.worker setItemStore:self];
>
> In Worker.h I do
> @property (nonatomic, weak) ItemStore *itemStore;
>
> In Worker.m, when all its tasks are done, I do
> self.itemStore = nil;
>
> I assume this completely destroys the itemStore object and all objects it
> exclusively owns.

No.  The itemStore property of Worker is weak.  That means it does not
influence the lifetime of the itemStore object it references.  Setting the
reference to nil simply makes it no longer reference that object.

> Is there any way to NSLog the destruction of the itemStore object?
>
> I tried putting a log in itemStore's dealloc method, but it doesn't show up
> in the console.

Putting a call to NSLog() in the -dealloc would be the way to detect it.
Nothing is showing up because the itemStore object is not being deallocated.

If you want to deallocate it, you have to make sure to clear all strong
references to it.  Clearing weak references doesn't help.

Regards,
Ken