I guess the operative word here is ³custom².  So how does NSTextView handle
attachments which are not custom, because it does?  Why not RTFD?  I thought
RTF didn¹t handle attachments.

So, it looks like I need to archive the attributed string segment as a
custom pboard type, in addition to the normal RTF, and prioritize that.  In
my (internal) storage, I generally just archive the attributed string.