All top level views in XIBs and storyboards have
translatesAutoresizingMaskIntoConstraints=YES. This is because most UIKit and
AppKit view and controller subclasses are not yet using constraints to layout,
so the default of translatesAutoresizingMaskIntoConstraints=YES is least
unexpected.

As Kyle pointed out translatesAutoresizingMaskIntoConstraints is a property
that should be governed by the client of your view, not the view itself, so
that's also part of the motivation why ideally you shouldn't need to care about
that property when working in the IB document itself.

Someday we'll flip the default as more systems migrate to auto layout.

Kevin