On 06/09/2013, at 1:33 AM, Fritz Anderson <anderson.fr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The next thing I'd do is to see if the <NSEditor> protocol would be of any
> comfort. I think it may even be preferred to resetting the window's first
> responder.

It's never been clear to me how that protocol is implemented with respect to
dialogs, or windows in general.

It's implemented by NSController, which is not inherited by NSWindowController,
and even if it were, NSSavePanel doesn't appear to have a window controller. If
it's implemented by individual text fields, that means I'd have to track which
text field is active, which is a bunch of extra work I don't usually have to
bother with. Or do I send it to the field editor? I can find no documentation
that really explains how the protocol should be used in practice, and in any
case it seems to be something to do with bindings, which I'm not using here.

That's why I've tended to stick with the tried and tested and above all, simple
method of simply setting FR to the window when I need any pending fields to
commit.

I would like to know what I *should* be doing though.

--Graham