Just to add a tiny wrinkle:

On Sep 9, 2013, at 20:27 , Jens Alfke <j...@mooseyard.com> wrote:
> On Sep 9, 2013, at 10:48 AM, Jeffrey Oleander <jgo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> [..] Some do, but the dread of customer rebellion is strong, and they want
>> to enter them in the slap-dash, hurried, harried ways they're used to
>> writing them, or finding them in their source materials.
>
> You’re mixing this up with a totally different issue.
>
> *Users* should be able to enter dates however the hell they want. [] Yes it
> can be awkward to parse natural-language dates, but it’s pretty much a solved
> problem. I really appreciate software like Fantastical and Siri that lets me
> type/say stuff like “next tue 3pm”.

And performance isn’t really that critical for user entry on a single user
machine, unless you’re a much faster typist than I am. :-)  So turn all the
heuristics and sophisticated processing when you are receiving user input and
then store it in a standardized format..

> *Data formats* should use strict standards for dates.  [rss horror stories]

…that can be parsed efficiently and reliably.  And no, in my experience just
storing Unix time or some other well-defined UTC time is not enough for many
use-cases, you actually want to know the local time the user intended.   For
example, you don’t probably don’t want to have per-day processing kicked off at
midnight zulu if you are on the west coast, and you want that to change if the
machine is moved.

> These are of course unrelated issues because no one would put unparsed
> user-input date strings into a well-defined file format. Right?

*g*

Marcel