To me, this seems like the wrong direction to move. This is sort of like
saying you want to convert your OS X app to a Classic Mac OS app maintain
support for some Mac OS API.

I'd go 64-bit only for your main app. I'd leave the 32-bit helper separate.
Isolate your dependence on this component. If you're lucky, it will become
obsolete and you'll be able to replace it without affecting your app
significantly. Setup an API layer in your 64-bit app that calls
AVFoundation, but can optionally call out to your 32-bit helper app.

As a general rule, I try to write more for the future and less for the
past. That means moving to 64-bit apps as quickly as possible.
My guess, 32-bit frameworks will go away in the not too distant future,
see: 68K code & PPC code, Carbon APIs, etc.

Mark

--
Mark Munz
unmarked software