On 13 Sep 2013, at 17:15, Gerriet M. Denkmann <gerr...@mdenkmann.de> wrote:

>> I should add that if you want to see what all the available options are for
>> launchd.plist, you can get a nice description of them by typing "man
>> launchd.plist" in the Terminal.
>
> This I have done already (but thanks for the hint anyway), but I couldn't
> make sense of it. Thus my question here.

I had exactly the same experience. I feel that a lot of the documentation
relating to Launch Agent and Launch Daemons for OS X is written for an audience
of people who come from a very different unix background to OS X and have been
used to writing daemons for other unix platforms and using fork to start their
daemon process etc..

The documentation is possibly useful to that audience but is not suitable for
an audience of OSX developers or iOS developers.

I even considered learning about developing daemons for unix platforms other
than OS X just so that the documentation might make sense to me but that seemed
to open up a whole new can of worms.

I have a number of open bug reports on the documentation for this area:

Radar: 14479026 Essential documentation is not clear (man launchd.plist)
Radar: 14478979 Tech note 2083 is out of date
Radar: 14444487 Daemons and Services programming guide provides misleading
information

Kevin