On Sep 17, 2013, at 07:49:56, Pax <45rpmli...@googlemail.com>
wrote:

> I thought that this would be nice and simple

No.  Overriding anything in the AppKit document architecture is playing with
fireworks, especially since Auto Save and Versions.   To be safe, when you're
"done", retest all of the functions: Duplicate, Rename, Move To, Browse All
Versions, etc., in all OS X versions you're deploying to.

On 2013 Sep 17, at 06:41, Steve Mills <smi...@makemusic.com> wrote:

> You might try overriding saveToURL:ofType:forSaveOperation:completionHandler:
> instead. writeToURL is at a very low level in the save operation, and if you
> look at the stack, I bet writeSafelyToURL:ofType:forSaveOperation:error: is
> one of the callers of writeToURL.

Steve's advice looks good to me.  For a picture of the Save operation, in
Xcode's Documentation browser, check out

Document-Based app Programming Guide for Mac > Alternative Design
Considerations > Message Flow in the Document Architecture > Saving A Document
> Figure 6-6 at the bottom of the page

Supposedly this document has recently been updated to reflect Auto Save and
Versions, but I haven't verified that.