On Wed, Sep 18, 2013, at 11:01 AM, Steve Mills wrote:
> We needed to subclass NSScroller for just the horizontal scroller in one
> scroll view (there was a weird bug where the default scroller had a dead
> zone on the left end). Doing so prevents BOTH scrollers from using the
> overlay style. Why? We only override mouseDown so we can work around this
> bug and handle page decrement tracking ourself. Any way to override
> something else so it thinks we can use overlay style?

Quoth the 10.7 AppKit Release Notes, section "Lion's Two Scroller
Styles":

"""
Instances of an NSScroller subclass are, for compatibility, defaulted to
the Legacy scroller style and behavior. NSScroller subclasses can
declare themselves to be Overlay-scroller-compatible using the new
+isCompatibleWithOverlayScrollers API, allowing customization relative
to the Overlay scroller appearance and behavior. See the comments
accompanying this method in NSScroller.h for usage and the complete set
of compatibility requirements.
"""

<https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/releasenotes/Cocoa/AppKitOlderNotes.html>

--Kyle Sluder