Although the problem in this thread has been solved, a project I'm working
needed a systematic way to hang on to transient windows.  And subclassing
NSWindowController as I suggested last week is costly due to lack of multiple
inheritance in Objective-C.  So today I wrote a new class which…

/*
 @brief    Provides a place for window controllers that control transient
 windows to "hang out" without being deallocced, so that you don't junk
 up your app delegate with repeated boilerplate code and instance variables.
 */

Now any time I want a window controller to simply stick around until its window
closes,

[SSYWindowHangout hangOutWindowController:windowController] ;

A little more code this time.  Also comes in a demo project.

https://github.com/jerrykrinock/SSYWindowHangoutDemo