On Oct 8, 2013, at 12:33 PM, jonat...@mugginsoft.com wrote:

>> Yup. Been doing it for years. There was some code written by Cathy Shive and
>> Jonathan Dann to help with that called XSViewController. Don't know where
>> the original source is now, but basically it managed a tree of view
>> controllers by adding a parent-child relationship between view controllers,
>> with the tree attached to the XSWindowController. VCs could easily be
>> attached and removed from the tree and it would reconnect the responder
>> chain correctly.
> I think this might be a version of what you are  referring to:
> https://github.com/catshive/KTUIKit/blob/master/Framework/Controllers/KTViewController.m

Hmm. The XS version is simpler. Not sure why there's some other stuff going on
in there.

> My implementation is simpler, using a couple of category methods on NSWindow
> to patch in my view controllers.
> However the tree implementation might be useful in future.

It's useful when you have a deep hierarchy. For instance I have the window's
top level VC, a subVC for each tab in the window, 6 subVCs of that, each of
those may have several subVC and on and on. When different views are shown and
hidden, the parent VC simply calls an addChild/removeChild and it's hooked up
in the right spot. It's not significantly different, but it is convenient.

gl,

--
Seth Willits