On Oct 10, 2013, at 9:28 PM, Jens Alfke <j...@mooseyard.com> wrote:

> On Oct 10, 2013, at 7:38 PM, Carl Hoefs <newsli...@autonomy.caltech.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> How does one receive notifications from 10.8's new system-wide Notification
>> Center? Is there a framework that allows a Cocoa program to receive system
>> notifications, i.e., the ones that show automatically in the upper right
>> hand of the screen?
>
> No, it’s the other way around — Notification Center is for apps to _send_
> notifications to, not receive them. The notifications are purely for the user
> to see.

Tantalizing, to be able to see them and not act on them programmatically.

> There are several existing mechanisms like NSDistributedNotification,
> NSWorkspace and kqueues for getting programmatic notifications of things
> outside your process. Is there something specific you want to be notified of?

Lots of applications come to mind, if such a mechanism were available. To be
able to know when a certain song is playing in iTunes Radio and crank up the
volume, or to send out a text/email/tweet when certain notifications are
posted, etc. I would think this would be Generally Useful. Wish there were a
way...

- Carl