I've switched to using the asynchronous
-openDocumentWithContentsOfURL:display:completionHandler:, and now I have a
problem. My app requires that one type of document (which provides a library of
elements added to the "real" documents) be open before the untitled document
gets created. This worked fine before, when the library doc was opened
synchronously, but now it doesn't.

I could override -makeUntitledDocumentOfType:error: to check for the library
doc first, set a flag if it's not ready, and have the library doc open
operation check that flag and create a new document.

But is there a better way?

TIA,
--
Rick