Sure, but I need a fix, even if temporary. I can probably simply not dearchive
that object, but…

I just call -[coder decodeObject:… forKey:…], but the actual object that could
be returned is of almost any kind in this particular case. Without decoding it
I can’t tell what class it’s going to be, but if I go ahead it crashes before I
can tell its class. Catch-22. If I avoid that step altogether it breaks a key
piece of functionality in the app.

What I need is a way to detect before decoding the object what its class will
be. Since the new ‘secure’ decode methods specify the class, presumably they
make use of such information. Is there a way I can too?

—Graham