On Nov 7, 2013, at 08:46 , Joseph Ayers <j.ay...@neu.edu> wrote:

> I have a NSWindow that has a NSTabView. The window has some drawers that open
> when one of the tabs is clicked on. One of the tabs draws a digital
> oscilloscope, another draws graphs and a third some DSP graphics The drawers
> contain  NSView's with text boxes for parameters of the graphics and
> checkboxes for graphic features.

OK, I can picture that.

> As each view

… you mean each view providing content for one variation of the drawer, right?
— or did you suddenly switch to talking about the tab item views? …

> has a NSViewController, I’m having troubles finding examples of how I
> construct an appropriate nib. For example. The graphics view has several
> boolean flags and scalars that control aspects of the graphs and these
> properties are associated with the graphics NSView. The corresponding drawer
> has check boxes for the booleans and text boxes for the scalars and has it’s
> own NSView and NSViewController. When I hook up these outlets for the
> NSViewController so their targets are the properties in the NSView, they
> don’t work.

What does “they don’t work” mean? If you’re putting different content in the
drawer depending on what tab is selected, they you’re going to have to load the
drawer view nib programmatically, and replace the old drawer content with the
newly loaded view.

So, are you saying you can’t load the new drawer content view? You can’t create
a NSViewController for the new view? You can’t replace the drawer content?

> My fundamental conundrum is that the NSViews for the graphics are associated
> with NSTabViewItems and these do not appear to be supported in Xcode 5
> interface builder.

This makes no sense. Of course the tab item views are supported in IB. You can
select any of the tabs, and drag whatever items (custom graphic views, etc) you
want into them. This is, in IB, nothing to do with the drawer. Or are you
saying that you’re *also* loading the tab item view content dynamically?

> If I tell a generic object that it’s a NSTabViewItem it does not expose a
> view outlet.

But why would you do this? The tab item views have nothing (structurally) to do
with the drawer contents.

> Moreover, how one associates a NSVIewController with a NSTabViewItem is a bit
> confounding.

Again, this makes no sense, unless you’re talking about loading the tab item
view content dynamically. In other words, why are you trying to make
NSTabViewItems be “File’s Owner” of nib files. It’s never the correct thing to
do.