In my iOS app, I create a directory in the user’s Documents directory, and then
later iterate the contents of that directory. The problem is that on iOS, that
directory has a path like “/var/stuff/Documents/Dir”, and when I iterate it,
the resulting contents have paths like “/private/var/stuff/Documents/Dir/item”.

This is fine, except that there comes a point where I have to compare my
original “/var/…” path to one of the ones I've found, and get the relative
part. This fails, since my path starts with "/var", and the items' paths start
with "/private".

Is there a way to normalize a path such that any symbolic links in it are
resolved and the "real" path is created? I tried -[NSURL
URLByResolvingSymlinksInPath], but that either doesn't work, or strips off the
"/private" of the result. That is, I get a "/var" path.

Alternatively, I can strip "/private" off any path I get while iterating, but
that strikes me as fragile.

Oh, it turns out I can use -URLByResolvingSymlinksInPath on the items returned
while iterating the directory.

Whatever it is, it's messy.

--
Rick