On 2013 Nov 15, at 23:05, Martin Hewitson <martin.hewit...@aei.mpg.de> wrote:

> navigating works properly for … iStatMenus

Ah, that’s interesting.  That would make iStatMenus the first non-Apple status
item that I’ve seen that was not skipped in the loop.  Checking into that a
little, I see that

• iStatMenus is not available in the Mac App Store.
• "iStat Menus uses MenuCracker” [1]
• MenuCracker is “[Building] a small bundle for MacOS X 10.2 in order to
support menu extras in the same way they were supported in MacOS X 10.1” [2]

Does anyone know what changed in menu extras (an old name for Status Items, I
guess) going from 10.1 to 10.2?

Bug Reporter is back now.  I did report this bug in 2011, as 10122120, and it
was immediately closed as a duplicate of 5037324, which would have been around
2007.  Six years ago.

So it looks like maybe Apple is doing this on purpose, or that it is deemed
*verrrry* difficult to fix.  But neither one of these seems plausible to me.
What possible reason could there be for restricting keyboard accessibility to
only Apple items (minus Spotlight and Notification Center).

The command-tab application switcher does not skip over non-Apple apps.

What am I missing?

[1]  http://bjango.com/mac/istatmenus/  bottom of page
[2]  http://sourceforge.net/projects/menucracker/