Apparently, OS X 10.9 caches preference files. This is the first I’ve heard
about it (on a discussion on Ars Technica of all places). Is there any
documentation about this, like an explanation as to what purpose this has?

I noticed recently that after deleting my app’s prefs file, I was still getting
an old value coming up, despite changing it in the defaults plist I use with
-registerDefaults: on startup. I was unable to track down where this old value
was coming from, and gave up, baffled, since it was only a curiosity in that
case. Now I know why. However, if something really seriously does need
changing, then this caching means I’m not going to be able to test it without
writing code to forcibly update the user defaults, rather than just passively
changing the value in my plist and trashing the prefs file. That’s a pretty
major problem.

Also, very rarely, but once in a while, deleting the prefs file can be a useful
solution to get a user around a problem due to a bug, etc. If that’s no longer
an option, we are going to be stuck with bugs that are going to be very hard to
triage in the field. That’s a pretty major problem.

Please someone tell me there’s a way to opt out of this travesty? At this rate
I’ll be writing a full-on replacement for NSUserDefaults just to get back the
behaviour it’s always had in the past. What good is this change anyway?

—Graham