On 27 Nov 2013, at 11:29 pm, Quincey Morris
<quinceymor...@rivergatesoftware.com> wrote:

> You make reasonable points, but the fact that your explanation does a lot of
> tap dancing to get there might suggest an overreaction

Hmm, well, short summary: bugs happen.

> In these circumstances, I’d suggest you consider an “alternate” menu item,
> rather than a button. For example, an alternate to <your app> —>
> Preferences…, but with the Option key held down. That way, it’s hidden
> normally, but the reset procedure is easy to explain, even to damn fools.
> Plus, it’s really, really easy to set this up IB these days.

Not a bad idea. The button I added currently lives at
(App)->Preferences->(“Advanced" Tab)-> "Reset Preferences…” —> Alert to confirm
with warning that you need to think about it carefully.  So not all that
visible. But an alt menu item leading to the same alert would be sensible too.

—Graham