On Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 01:54 PM, jonat...@mugginsoft.com wrote:
> Windows WPF has a fixed format document API. Its documentation states:
>
> Fixed documents are intended for applications that require a precise
> "what you see is what you get" (WYSIWYG) presentation, independent of the
> display or printer hardware used. Typical uses for fixed documents
> include desktop publishing, word processing, and form layout, where
> adherence to the original page design is critical.
>
> What is the best approach for generating fixed format report documents in
> Cocoa?
>
> My thoughts:
>
> 1. I can build NSView instances in IB, bind them and print to PDF. Okay
> for simple stuff but it is not a document generation API.

This is exactly AppKit's document generation API. It's how TextEdit,
etc. generate their print output. They create (or reuse) an NSTextView,
construct an NSPrintOperation around that view, and run the print
operation.

Please read "The AppKit Printing API":
<https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/cocoa/conceptual/Printing/osxp_printingapi/osxp_printingapi.html>

--Kyle Sluder