On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 10:04:05 +0100, Remco Poelstra said:

>Thanks for both responses. I think I'll try to do both. Register all
>known file extensions, so the known ones get a nice document icon and
>the suggestion to open it with my app. And accept all other types, just
>in case someone comes up with a new extension. I think that will be the
>most useful to users.

Are those extensions unique or common?  For example, is ".img" one of the
extensions people use for these files?  Over the years, .img and other
extensions, have been used by many different file formats.  OS X has a
one-to-one mapping of extension to UTI and so doesn't deal well if two
different applications declaring different UTIs for the same extension.  Just
another case to look out for...

Cheers,

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 s...@rogue-research.com