On 30 Jan 2014, at 11:53, Rui Pacheco <rui.pach...@gmail.com> wrote:

> And isn’t all this message passing pretty much the same as calling methods in
> classes, just like you’d do in Java, C# or C++?

I would say that message sending is very different indeed:

https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/cocoa/conceptual/ObjCRuntimeGuide/Articles/ocrtHowMessagingWorks.html

An Obj-C can load code dynamically at run time see: NSBundle -load.
This makes it possible for an Obj-C object to modify the messages that it can
respond to at run time.

This may sound rather abstract but it is extremely useful for writing
extensible applications that load up their functionality from plugin bundles.
You can also load frameworks dynamically in this way - though it is more common
to use the dynamic linker.
A lot of Cocoa based languages and Cocoa bridges use this technique to access
framework based functionality.

The possible behaviours of a C# or C++ are largely defined at compile time.
The actual behaviour of an Objective-C application will only be revealed at
runtime.

Jonathan