I think there should be a way to just open and display the submenus and
highlight a menu item, even if the mouse is elsewhere.
Then if the mouse moves and select a different menuItem, ok, I do.
Otherwise, at the mouseUp, if the mouse didn't move or it is out of the menu
area,  I leave the previous menuItem selected.

John, if you agree, I can send you the xcode project to your email address
only, since on the list we can't attach documents. Or I can load it on
github.com.

Regards
-- Leonardo