On Feb 16, 2014, at 10:22 AM, Kevin Meaney <k...@yvs.eu.com> wrote:

> You're missing the question I was trying to ask. Why is autorelease needed at
> all?

It's needed when a method creates an object [or otherwise gets an object with a
reference that needs to be released] and has to return that object, but the
caller isn't aware that the reference needs to be released. The method can call
-autorelease on that object, which schedules a pending release in the future,
balancing the ref-counting.

You could argue that if ARC were mandatory [which it isn't, remember]
autorelease wouldn't be necessary because the method above can be declared as
returning a strong reference, so the caller will know to release it.
Unfortunately it isn't that simple, because there can be multiple
implementations of a method. For example, a class might implement a -bgColor
method that returns an NSColor stored in an instance variable; so the return
value doesn't need to be released. But a subclass might override -bgColor to
allocate and return a new NSColor instance. Now the caller _does_ need to
release it, but the caller doesn't know that because it has no idea which
implementation of -bgColor actually got called.

The only way to resolve this without autorelease would be to enforce that _all_
methods that return objects have to  return a retained reference for the caller
 to release. This would end up adding a huge number of retain/release calls,
which I'm pretty sure would affect performance.

—Jens