On Feb 22, 2014, at 1:28 PM, jonat...@mugginsoft.com wrote:

> On 22 Feb 2014, at 15:32, Ken Thomases <k...@codeweavers.com> wrote:
>>>

>> NSDecimalNumber can represent values that are outside of the range of
>> doubles.  So, _some_ NSDecimalNumber instances _may_ return "d" for double,
>> but others definitely won't.
>>
> I don’t think so.
> It is possible that this behaviour could change and yes my type hinting
> system would then break.
> However, the current behaviour to me seems entirely self consistent.
>
> The NSDecimalNumber header says:
> - (const char *)objCType NS_RETURNS_INNER_POINTER;
>    // return 'd' for double

Actually, this is much, much worse.  If the representation provided by
-getValue: is a double and a double can't represent all of the different values
of an NSDecimalNumber, then two unequal number objects would have equal
representations.  That will play havoc with dictionary lookups.

NSDecimalNumber* dn1 = [NSDecimalNumber decimalNumberWithMantissa:ULLONG_MAX
exponent:0 isNegative:NO];
NSDecimalNumber* dn2 = [dn1 decimalNumberBySubtracting:[NSDecimalNumber one]];
double d1, d2;
[dn1 getValue:&d1];
[dn2 getValue:&d2];
assert(![dn1 isEqual:dn2]); // passes