Apparently, my comment about not understanding this construct for
setValueForKeyPath was correct.  It actually works. I finally got the
highlighting filter to work and update properly. Now I¹m trying to do
something much simpler, i.e., construct a freezeFilter.  Nothing I¹ve tried
so far works.  Apparently, a CIFilter is expected to be stateless function
such as outputImage = f(inputImage, parameters). Not accepting this premiss,
I decided to try caching the first output image ( from the outputImage
method), then return the cashed image thereafter, an ultra simple concept,
except that it does not work. Any reason, besides what I postulated, why
this shouldn¹t work?