On Feb 25, 2014, at 6:42 AM, jonat...@mugginsoft.com wrote:
> I have an NSString subclass as below.
> If the subclass doesn’t respond to a given selector I want to forward the
> selector to another object.
>
> What is the best way to declare the interfaces for DBManagedString and
> DBManagedObject?
>
> Should I declare a DBManagedObject protocol in which all the methods are
> optional?

A protocol works.

Declaring the methods without implementing them also works.

For properties you can use @dynamic to tell the compiler that the property's
implementation is handled elsewhere (via forwarding, in your case).

> And what happens with synthesis for properties declared in protocols?

Nothing. The class implementation must have some explicit code to get a
property implementation. Merely conforming to a protocol never adds code to
your class.

--
Greg Parker     gpar...@apple.com     Runtime Wrangler