On Mar 1, 2014, at 14:53 , Mike Abdullah <mabdul...@karelia.com> wrote:

> It is -[NSFileWrapper writeToURL:options:originalContentsURL:error:] which
> has the feature of writing out hard links for efficiency. But it only does it
> if requested, by passing a suitable URL as the original contents URL. It is
> my suspicion that NSDocument does not do this for you. You could set a
> breakpoint to test this.

I’ve never used this, but I *have* seen documents use hard linking anyway
(though, on reflection, that might have been UIDocument, not NSDocument — I’m
not sure now).

Your comment makes me wonder if the optimization only happens in certain
NSDocument configurations — specifically, it might be necessary to opt into one
of the newer NSDocument behaviors, such as the latest style of autosaving.