I want my Mac app's toolbar to look like the ones in the Finder and Mail, with
each item drawn as a framed button. So far the only way I’ve found to do this
is to give each NSToolbarItem a custom view that’s an NSSegmentedControl with
one segment. This is awkward and kind of annoying since the items no longer
auto-validate.

Is there some setting I’ve overlooked that will give the toolbar this visual
style without my having to wrap all the items? Or is this really the way to do
it?

—Jens