On Mar 30, 2014, at 14:14 , Jerry Krinock <je...@ieee.org> wrote:

> In your original message, you refer to these non-optional properties being
> “backed by” optional scalars. To answer your question, I think one would need
> to know exactly what “backed by” means.  I don’t.

This is what I'm doing:

        http://pastebin.com/BfzgTfiE

In the Model, bounds and position are marked as Transient. My understanding at
that point is that Core Data is pretty hands-off for those attributes. The docs
about custom attributes show backing those transient attributes with an iVar as
a cache, and then writing or reading from the "real" attribute either during
access or during fetch/save (as you mention in 4a&b). I don't bother with the
iVar, as it seemed unnecessary, but maybe Core Data is looking for accesses to
that?

You might be right about just making it all optional and validating myself,
though.

--
Rick