> On Apr 1, 2014, at 12:25 AM, Jens Alfke wrote:
>
>> On Mar 31, 2014, at 10:16 PM, Trygve Inda <cocoa...@xericdesign.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I need to be able to set a new myDict and not have it happen between the
>>> reading of different values from the dictionary by other threads.
>>
>> Don’t expose the dictionary in mutable form. You can’t make that thread-safe
>> unless all the clients voluntarily agree to do something like wrap their
>> usage with @synchronized blocks using the dictionary as a parameter.
>
> I didn't see mention of mutating the dictionary.  It sounds like he's just
> using a setter to replace it (which also likely releases it, which makes it
> potentially unsafe).
>
> I agree, though, that properties should almost never be of mutable type.  But
> making them immutable doesn't, by itself, create thread-safety.  If nothing
> else, the owner could still mutate it while other threads are reading it.
>
> Regards,
> Ken

Yes, the property is Mutable in the host app, but after being sent to the
helper app (which has multiple threads), it could just as easily be an
NSDictioanary (non-mutable).

I just need to be 100% certain that when the helper app threads read two
values from the dictionary, that the dictionary does not change between (or
during) these two reads.

T.