On 6 Apr 2014, at 2:52 PM, Daniel Luis dos Santos <daniel.d...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I want to display some text indicating a list of errors the user should
> correct before submitting data.
>
> I am using a modal NSAlert in which i set a message with a localised string
> from a table.
>
> I want to include the error details and for that I was setting the
> informativeText field but it doesn’t show up unless its a string literal. I
> need it to be a variable value.

That’s not what I see. I made a quick experiment, with the stock Cocoa/AppKit
template. I dropped a text field into the window, and a button to trigger an
alert. doAlert: harvests the informative-text string from the field, which
means the string can vary.

Everything else is the same as your code (stripped of the accessory view, which
you describe as being merely an attempt to work around the failure of the
informative text to appear). Note that you should set the informative-text
format to the string you want to display; use %@ and then the string.

What this suggests to me is that your “informativeText” variable is not what
you assume it is. Have you set a breakpoint before you create the alert, and
inspected it?

        — F

#import "KVAAppDelegate.h"

@interface KVAAppDelegate ()
@property (weak) IBOutlet NSButton *alertButton;
- (IBAction)doAlert:(id)sender;
@property (weak) IBOutlet NSTextField *informativeField;

@end

@implementation KVAAppDelegate

- (void) awakeFromNib
{
  self.informativeField.stringValue = @"This space for rent.";
}

- (IBAction) doAlert: (id) sender
{
  NSString *    informativeText = self.informativeField.stringValue;
  NSAlert *   errorAlert;
  errorAlert = [NSAlert
          alertWithMessageText:
          NSLocalizedStringFromTable(