On Apr 10, 2014, at 6:23 AM, Keary Suska <cocoa-...@esoteritech.com> wrote:

> This is more likely a shell scripting issue, rather than am NSTask issue,
> unless sandboxing is somehow interfering, and you are obscuring the issue by
> not telling us at least how myprogram is locating myauxprogram. The most
> likely culprit is that the invocation of myauxprogram in myprogram is a
> relative path that relies on the PATH environment variable that is properly
> set by the shell, but you don't set in NSTask.

Agreed. A problem I’ve run into several times is that shells invoked from
programs are not login shells, so they don’t run the same initialization
scripts as the shell you use in a terminal. (For instance, a csh login shell
runs ~/.login on startup as well as ~/.cshrc, but a non-login shell doesn’t. A
similar thing happens with bash but I can never remember which scripts are
involved.) If you customize your $PATH in the login-shell startup script, then
a shellscript run outside a terminal window won’t have the same path.

—Jens